Under the overall direction of the Associate Nurse Manager, this Medical Assistant provides flow manager functions to the OBAT Nurse in the Adult Medicine department. The Medical Assistant is responsible for assisting the nurse with during office visits and other tasks related to the visit consistent with his/her training and certification. His/her primary roles are to assure efficient patient flow through the office; to maintain neat, clean and safe patient care environment, to ensure service excellence and patient satisfaction by interacting with patients in a professional, friendly manner consistent with their needs.The Medical Assistant is also responsible for data collection and data entry functions related to the population of patients served. This is a grant funded position (3-4 years)
- Active participation in patient care including anticipatory preparation for health maintenance and chronic health care needs, obtaining histories and vital signs, arranging referral and diagnostic testing appointments, doing phlebotomy including proper identification and handling of specimens, doing EKG’s and performing other procedures as determined relevant to the individual patient.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills concerning appropriate documentation of allergies, medication updates, immunizations, past medical history diagnoses and any other information that is added to the medical record of an individual patient.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the current and future needs of the patient in both chronic care and health maintenance and is able to use decision making skills to help patients meet those needs following appropriate protocols.
- Overall responsibility for the flow of the provider’s patient care session, able to make decisions concerning adding a patient to the schedule, providing needed information to the front staff concerning the work flow in the patient care area and keeping the provider informed of issues that effect the efficiency of care during the session.
- Supports patient care and the health care team by anticipating administrative functions requiring support including but not limited to preparing prior authorizations, participating with the approval process for medications as appropriate, monitoring clinical messaging, supporting providers with completion of patient follow up letters, updating the medical record with patient information under the guidance of the provider.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of shared responsibility to maintain a beautiful and orderly practice environment.
- Depending on organization of roles within the practice, may share responsibility with other medical assistants for the quality, safety and laboratory check systems in the clinical environment including Quality Assurance for Point of Care testing.
- Depending on organization of roles within the practice, may share responsibility for appropriate monitoring and stocking of supplies for the clinical and administrative needs of the practice.
Good communication skills
Sound judgment and problem-solving ability
Ability to prioritize
Ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment and see them through to completion
Accuracy and attention to detail
Data collection and entry skills
- Medical Assistant and Basic Life Support certification required
- High School diploma required: Associates degree preferred
- Nursing Assistant certification or other academic preparation may be considered in lieu of certification
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Primary Location: MA-Charlestown-MGH Charlestown HealthCare Center
MGH Charlestown HealthCare Center
73 High Street
Job: Medical Assistant
Organization: Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
Standard Hours: 40
Shift: Day Job
Posted Shift Description: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5pm
Employee Status: Regular
Recruiting Department: MGH Charlestown Health Center
Further Information and Application Can Be Found at: www.massgeneral.org/jobs Job ID # 3066268